- Posted by:
- Posted on:
Ventoy is a software which can be used to create a fast bootable USB drive from an ISO file. Reinstalling the operating system via the bootable USB has the advantage that you won’t have to waste time formatting the drive.
Instead, you can simply plug the USB drive into a special port and restart your computer. While there are plenty of tools out there that create bootable USB sticks, most of them rely on the OS kernel, which requires access to the hardware media in order to store the source.
The idea behind this program is different and requires storing information in RAM before loading it. Therefore, the OS can detect that data is being loaded from the virtual disk, find the original media required for the operation, and continue booting without creating the standard traps like in classic booting.
It’s worth mentioning that this tool lets you add as many ISO files as you want, in which case a menu will welcome you after downloading. The program supports ISO files larger than 4GB, as well as native UEFI and Legacy BIOS, and works with dozens of operating systems, as the developer claims to have tested more than 160 files.
Features of Ventoy:
- Easy to use
- Fast (limited only by the speed of copying the iso file)
- Direct download from iso file, no need for extraction
- Legacy + UEFI is supported in the same way
- Supports UEFI Secure Boot (since 1.0.07+)
- Supports ISO files larger than 4GB
- Has a boot menu style for Legacy and UEFI
- Most OS types supported, more than 200 iso files tested
- Not only downloading, but also a complete installation process
- Ventoy Compatible Concept
- Plugin Framework
- Read only to USB stick at boot time
- Data is not destroyed during the upgrade
- No need to update Ventoy when a new distribution is released